Re: problems with GPT (and maybe dkctl wedges) on LVM volumes

On Mar 13, 11:55, Michael van Elst wrote:
} woods%planix.ca@localhost ("Greg A. Woods") writes:
}
} >Welllll, in the end the LVM volume _is_ a partitionable disk in some
} >circumstances
}
} But only because there is some emulating layer in between.
}
} There is no functional difference between a disk partition like 'wd0a',
} a wedge like 'dk0' or a LVM volume like 'dm0'. And the partition
} functionality (i.e. passing blocks for and back) is the only thing
} that Xen requires. The xvbd driver adds the "disk" capabilities on
} top of that.
}
} I'd like to have vnd(4) to also support block devices as backing store,
} so that it can be the "emulating layer". But since that's currently
} not possible I added enough functionality to ccd(4) instead.

     On a similar note, it would be really nice if vnd(4) worked
with NFS mounts (even if just read only).  I have lots of CD images
(building multiple versions of NetBSD regularly) on a NAS.  If I
want to use one with a Xen domU, I have to copy the image to a
local drive.

}-- End of excerpt from Michael van Elst