Re: Panic: HYPERVISOR_mmu_update failed on old NetBSD-5.2 domU

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020, Greg Troxel wrote:
Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> writes:
Specifically, the working installation is using an Intel Xeon 5620 processor
while the non-working one is using an Intel I5-2400 CPU.

In my case, I've not seen a working system, but my failed one is Xeon E5506 running Xen 4.7.6 from a fully-patched XenServer 7.1 LTSR system.

	maybe someone knows what I am obviously missing.  Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Not all that helpful, but there have been many advisories for security
problems in xen, and changes to various hypervisor calls as part of the
fixes.  NetBSD 5 is long unmaintained, as is 6, and 7 is no longer
maintained.  I know you know that, but wanted to say it for the record.

It might well be that the different CPU is exposing some code path that
has a latent bug.

Yeah, I first reported this about 2.5 years ago:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2018/04/17/msg009181.html

I would look at the "xen dmesg" or whatever the right command is to see
the xen kernel printfs from the dom0.

Yeah, that's pretty much what Manuel suggested; I found it printed nothing when it panicked.

You might try an 8 kernel on your 5 userland and see if that works.

I ended up putting on a -7 kernel and using libkver a lot:

builder# uname -a
NetBSD builder.internal 7.2 NetBSD 7.2 (XEN3PAE_DOMU.201809111420Z) i386
builder# kver -r 5.2_STABLE /bin/tcsh
builder# uname -a
NetBSD builder.internal 5.2_STABLE NetBSD 5.2_STABLE (LIBKVER) #0: Tue Jan 19 00:00:00 UTC 2038 root@localhost:/sys/arch/i386/compile/LIBKVER i386

--