Re: Xen 4.8.0 and NetBSD 7.1?

necromancing old thread as I have also run into it...

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 02:54:36PM -0500, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
> Yesteday,  I tried to update my system running Xen 3.3.2 (yes, very
> old) to 4.8.0.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't fully boot.  If I was
> lucky, it would make it to probing the disks.  If I was unlucky, it
> only made it to the ACPI probe.

I was going from xen 4.6 to 4.8.

> An interesting message that I'd not seen before is:
>   (XEN) Platform timer appears to have unexpectedly wrapped 10 or more times.
>
> It appeared during the boot process of the NetBSD kernel.
>
> A similar message has appeared running Xen 4.6.5 (but only wrapping
> once, and during the Xen initialization.)
>
> The system is a SUN X2200M2, 2 core AMD Opteron 2210 with 20479MB RAM.

I have a dual 2210 as well as a dual 2214.

> I was able to successfully boot using both Xen 4.5.5 and Xen 4.6.5.
> (And is currently running under Xen 4.6.5)

what puzzles me is that both 4.6 and 4.8 use the ACPI timer, so on the
surface it doesn't appear that the timer source has changed...

> FYI: the system hasn't been able to boot a NetBSD GENERIC kernel since
> around NetBSD 3 (I think)  Fortunately, running on the Xen hypervisor
> provides sufficent abstraction to (normally) keep it from hanging at
> the ACPI probe.  But that's a different problem.

I can boot GENERIC by disabling acpi, and disabling bge for PCI function
1, since it interferes with the BMC.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost
  "The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.  It