Re: Urgent: NetBSD domUs will not start after Xen kernel update

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 04:41:56PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
I put XenServer hotfix XS72E008 onto a XenServer dom0 and was shocked to
find that my NetBSD amd64/7 VMs will no longer boot. The VM briefly starts,
but then dies before any console output. The hotfix updates the xenkernel
from 4.7.2-2.2 to 4.7.2-2.6

I guess this is the patch from XSA-240, you need to boot with
pv-linear-pt=true
on the Xen command line

Thanks for your quick reply. I can confirm that the following command gets VMs booting again:
/opt/xensource/libexec/xen-cmdline --set-xen pv-linear-pt=true

i.e.
# xl info | grep commandline
xen_commandline        : dom0_mem=752M,max:752M watchdog ucode=scan dom0_max_vcpus=4 crashkernel=128M@256M console=vga vga=mode-0x0311 pv-linear-pt=true

However, while this is a useful workaround, it's not great going forward as the command line may be modified when other hotfixes or upgrades happen (or, of course, may not be under your administrative control). What's the roadmap for fixing this in the NetBSD kernel?

--
Stephen