Re: slow net on new linux vm

david l goodrich <dlg%dsrw.org@localhost> writes:

>   vif        = [ 'bridge=bridge0' ]
>   monolith#
>
> The network is so slow as to be unusable.  If I am patient
> enough, the installer finishes, but the slow network problem
> follows to the completed VM - SSH sessions are unusable but `xl
> console errol` works about as quickly as one should expect.
>
> Old VMs that I've migrated in from probably 4.1 or 4.2 running
> Ubuntu Trusty work great, I'm typing this note to you from one of
> them.
>
> Even stranger - NetBSD domUs don't exhibit this behavior.

Two separate thoughts:

  run tcpdump on the dom0 with -w to a file, and use
  pkgsrc/math/xplot-devel to analyze the traces of tcp connections from
  VM.  Also do ping to things on the ethernet, and give us some
  quantitative measurements.

  look in the xvif/xennet sources and figure out what kind of counters
  there are, and debugging options, and look at the counters and rebuild
  with debugging.  Do the same for the linux vm for the client side of
  xvif.