Re: GSOC 2015 NETBSD/AZURE

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM, ragu foss <ragu.foss%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My name is Ragunath. I am a graduate student in computer science from India.
> I am really excited that NetBSD is participating in this year's Google
> Summer of Code.  I am interested in working with NetBSD in GSOC'15
> this summer.
>
> I am interested in the project "Bringing NetBSD to Microsoft Azure". I
> have through the links provides and the following is my understanding
> of the
> aim of the project.
>
> "Hyper-V is able to boot NetBSD but with emulated hardware(I tried
> this and booted NetBSD). But this does not fully utilize the
> virtualization
> capabilities of Hyper-V. The whole idea of this project would be to
> utilize the virtualization technologies provided  by Hyper-V in
> NetBSD. This is done by adding drivers for Hyper-V specific devices to
> NetBSD. This include drivers for vmbus, network adapter, SCSI devices
> and some  utilities like time synchronization, shutdown capabilities
> and some other features. "
>
> Pls correct me if my understanding is incorrect.If you recommend I do
> or study something, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Ragunath

Hi, Ragunath.  I am very pleased you are excited to apply for GSoC with NetBSD.

Please wait until we are officially accepted before getting too
excited, though.  :)

Regarding the project- it sounds like you are on target but just
booting from hyper-v and
actually getting images created and deploying on Azure are slightly
different steps.

Also you are right that we would want to get as much good support as
we can for the
device drivers available in azure machines.

I look forward to hearing more from you over the summer!
Matt