Re: new system configuration advice

steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) writes:

> 2. Stability.  I like NetBSD because it gives me a stable environment
> to work in - machines rarely need rebooting, mostly they just plug on
> reliably.   How true is this of the Xen port?   Will I be able to get
> on with my application-related development work, or should I expect to
> have to spend time on a regular basis attending to more, rather than
> fewer, system management tasks than I do now with multiple physical
> boxes?

In my experience, dom0s are reliable.

I just did uptime on three production dom0s:

10:19AM  up 73 days, 21:58, 0 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00
10:19AM  up 205 days, 22:37, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
10:19AM  up 212 days, 22:08, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

No special effort is made to get high uptime (beyond UPS of course).

I find that a NetBSD domU will sometimes wedge, and it's unclear if this
is more often than a physical box.  But we have 30 domUs, and a 1
wedge/month rate is still pretty low.  Almost always we can 'xm destroy'
and 'xm create' with no issues, remotely.

I do not have experience with windows domUs.  Perhaps vnc?