Re: xen daemon situation

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:25:04 +0100
Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau%citrix.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 02/01/13 07:32, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > I find myself falling further down the xen rabbit hole and am still a
> > bit confused as to what xen-related daemons are necessary under what
> > conditions.
> >
> > I seem to only be able to get things working with (o)xenstored, xend,
> > xenconsoled, and xenbackendd running, even when only using xl.
>
> Having xend running while using xl can cause all sort of strange issues.

I think as long as you never use xm to manage a domain, things go as they
should,
even with xend running. It takes some discipline, especially when I still have
many systems that use xm. If I wasn't updating these systems a lot, I'd just
remove xm, but since I am updating them, I can't get used to relying on that.
Now that I've been doing this for a while, I find that I instead keep
accidentally trying to using xl on the old systems.

> > my understanding is that xend and xenbackendd are deprecated and if I'm
> > only using xl, I should only need (o)xenstored and xenconsoled running.
> > is this correct?
>
> Yes, xl only needs xenstore and xenconsole.
>

> > if I don't run xend, my dom0 name shows up as (null) instead of
> > Domain-0,
>
> Dom0 name is set by xencommons init script.

I'm running with the following in rc.conf:

xencommons=YES
xend=YES
xenwatchdog=YES
xendomains_config="/usr/pkg/etc/xen/conf/%s"
xendomains_prehook="/usr/pkg/etc/xen/conf/%s-pre"
xendomains="...

and so long as I only use xl, things work. That said, I'm really looking
forward to
xen 4.2 in pkgsrc when everything will be sorted out with xl.

> > and if I don't run xenbackendd, devices don't get attached to
> > the back end in the dom0, even if I create domUs with xl.  is this
> > something send-PR-worthy?
>
> What version of Xen are you using? xl is only supported on NetBSD
> starting with 4.2.

I've always used the xendomains startup script and with 4.1.3, it contains the
following:

ctl_command="/usr/pkg/sbin/xl"

so when I first upgraded, I just naively assumed that was what I was supposed
to use, setup xl.conf, etc.. and found a combination of things that got me
working again with xl.

If xl isn't really supported, then the xendomains rc script probably shouldn't
be using
it.

> > what does xenwatchdogd do, anyway?  I can't seem to find any
> > documentation on it, and asking takes less of my time than crawling
> > through the source code...  :)
>
> xen watchdog is used to check a list of DomUs to see if they are
> running, so you can perform automatic actions when a DomU crashes. I've
> never used this, so I'm afraid I don't know whether the code works or not.

I use it and have no idea if it works or not, which I guess is a good sign. :-)

Thanks,

Harry Waddell