Re: linux dom0 versus NetBSD dom0

Most of this is stuff I'm not really competent to comment on.  But...

> 2.  We know we can use the xbd driver to provide virtual disks in
> NetBSD, but are other storage technologies mature in the NetBSD
> environment?  I'm thinking aboutthings like ISCSI, NFS, or other
> network storage technologies.

My experience with NFS is mostly limited to NetBSD on both ends, often
widely disparate NetBSD (eg, SPARC 4.0.1 client and i386 1.4T server).
It has been rock solid for me.  I have even done relatively insane
things like NFS mounts with a SLIP link and an inter-city VPN hop
between client and server; it's Just Worked.  (It killed performance,
but for this I didn't care if it took two minutes instead of 20
milliseconds to copy what I wanted...).

This is in notable contrast to Linux NFS, which I have tried to use
only a little, but have had some minor trouble with; cow-orkers at the
relevant job, who have used Linux much more heavily than I, tell me
Linux NFS is just plain flaky.

So, if you end up wanting to use NFS for whatever reason, you might
want to give NetBSD preference.

\ / Ribbon Campaign