Re: blktap2 implementation in NetBSD

> Problem with netbsd-iscsi-initiator is that you use vnd(4) to access the
> storage. I've never got the block/character device options to work (though
> haven't tried hard) as really you need all the devices for the partitions
> (e.g. bd0a, rbd0, bd0b, rbd0d, etc.) as the tools generally expect them to
> be there like they are in /dev.

I don't think we need all the partitions, since Xen only uses the 'd'
partition (whole disk), the *only* requirement is to create a block
device that contains the whole disk, there's no need to know what
partitions are inside, or if the image is actually not a disk image,
but only a single partition. Xen and your config file take care of
knowing if the attached device is a partition or a whole disk (by
adding xvda or xvda1 to your config file). Also, there's no need to
use vnd if the partition is attached to a guest, unless you want to
open it locally in your dom0, that's a whole different story. Also the
Linux blktap driver uses char devices, but I still haven't figured out
how or why.

> When using vnd(4) if the userland process restarts (such as reconnecting to
> an iSCSI target) it kills the whole filesystem layer requiring a forced
> reboot.
>
> I think you should really be looking at libvdisk in -current.

I've googled libvdisk and I'm not able to find anything, the path
where I think libvdisk should reside is empty:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libvdisk/

Can you provide some information about libvdisk please?

> --
> Stephen

I'm not an expert, so maybe some of my statements are wrong, it would
be of great help to get some opinions about the best way to do this.

Regards, Roger.