Re: Xen Unstable on NetBSD

On 13.07.2011 17:42, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the hint, the PCI problem was solved by commenting a few
> python lines, anyway, I've read in the list archives that there used
> to be a /kern/xen/pci, but in my system I only have /kern/xen/privcmd,
> /kern/xen/xenbus and /kern/xen/xsd_port, is this because I'm not
> setting any pciback devices, or is it related to xen 4.1 support in
> NetBSD kernel?

The former; it won't be created if you don't have pciback(4) devices.

> Anyway, after disabling the PCI stuff xencommons and xend start
> correctly, but there's some problem with the hotplug scripts. If I try
> to create a domu with xm I get the following error:
>
> Error: Device 51714 (tap) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

There are many reasons why a hotplug script may fail; a short list would be:
- no available /dev device
- wrong name when creating the interface (for example, it tries to use
tunctl - which is a Linux only thing - under NetBSD)
- for whatever reason, frontend/backend do not update their state value
and remain in the InitWait (frontend fails to start or tries to write to
a wrong path in the Xenstore - which stores the device states)
- wrong parameters in domain config file, leading to incorrect values
passed to hotplug.

> Xend.log doesn't show any relevant info (or at least I'm not able to see it):
[snip]
> dmesg doesn't show anything either, not when booting neither when the
> domu is shut down. Any help in solving this issue would be
> appreciated.

The easiest way to debug hotplug scripts is to add stderr pipes to a
file for each command (like 2>/tmp/hotplug-xen.log), with a couple of
echos. Hotplug scripts are found under /usr/pkg/etc/xen/scripts.

> And as far as I can see, xl still has the console problem (as in Xen
> 4.1.1) when booting PV domains.

No idea on that one, sorry.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon