Fixing xvif(4) names, yet again

Dear all,

Some of you already know that having dots in interface names causes problems, especially for the creation of their sysctl nodes, as well as rc.d/network parsing. AFAIK, only xvif(4) interfaces are concerned.

In an attempt to fix this, I moved to the xvifX.Y to xvifX-Y convention. Sadly, in a lack of exhaustiveness from me, I missed the problem with the ifconfig_xxN variables from rc.conf(5), as reported by Taylor [1]. Given that xxN has to be constructed from chars acceptable in shell variables names, only ASCII letters and underscore '_'. can be accepted.

Without tweaking the whole rc(8) system (/etc/rc.conf being parsed as a shell script), the only possible solution is to move to xvifX_Y notation. Is it acceptable? I'd like to get this done before -6; it's rather a trivial fix.

Thanks!

[1] http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=39376

--
Jean-Yves Migeon