Re: call for testing: xen 4.1 packages

On 3/30/2011, "Christoph Egger" <Christoph_Egger%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:

>On 03/30/11 10:42, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
>>> I have packaged xen 4.1.
>>>
>>> Get the packages from
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/~cegger/xenkernel41.tar.gz
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/~cegger/xentools41.tar.gz
>>
>> This is a great, great news! Thank you Christoph!
>>
>> I will test it in three different machines, and will report back if I'll
>> find any problem.
> > Is it working just with -current or also with 5.1?
>
>I tested on -current only. Backward-compatibility to latest NetBSD
>releases to supposed to be maintained in pkgsrc.
>
>Please also report successful tests.
>
>Christoph

Hmm, the netbsd boot just went blank after showing that it's loading the
xen kernel file. I had the same problem with the xen40 build from the
pkgsrc package the last time you made the call for testing for 4.0. At
that time I thought that was a deficiency in the netbsd boot and I tried
grub, but it didn't help. I was able to get a hold of a prebuilt 4.0
xen.gz that came with some linux distro, I forgot which one, and I was
able to boot with it and had a functioning netbsd xen40 setup.

My kernel is netbsd 5.99.45 XEN3_DOM0 amd64 from 2011-02-14 0500Z. The
second stage boot loader (/boot) is up to date from that version. I
built the xenkernel41 by copying the xenkernel41.tar.gz into my
pkgsrc/sysutil, unpacking it and did 'make install'. Copied the
installed /usr/pkg/xen41-kernel/xen.gz to /xen41.gz and the boot.cfg
entry for it looks like below:

menu=Boot HEAD 201102140500Z xen41:load
/netbsd-201102140500Z-XEN3_DOM0.gz conso
le=pc root=wd2a;multiboot /xen41.gz dom0_mem=128M

I have xen33 installed on the same machine/rootdir and it works just fine
and the only difference with the line above is that it refers to
/xen33.gz.

I know it's a lot of hand waving, but I thought I'd raise the issue
first before I investigate any further, in case I missed anything
obvious. Do you have any patches for the netbsd src that I need to use?

Btw thanks for your work on xen stuff.