Re: S3-backed amis?

Jean-Yves Migeon <jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:46:04 -0500, Jan Schaumann
> <jschauma%netmeister.org@localhost> wrote:

>> Also, I created amd64 images and briefly tested them on m1.large and
>> m1.xlarge instances -- of course they don't see the additional CPUs,
>> but
>> they still seemed to work.  Perhaps we should mention this?
>
> No reason they should not :) You are paying extra cash for unused CPUs
> though, and hum, well, until MP support is ready...

Sure, but I also noticed that the CPU usage limitations on the micro
instances make them not perfectly suitable for some things.  For
example, if you want to run something that's constantly cpu-intensive
and requires a lot of memory but that happens to be single-threaded
anyway, then using a large or even xlarge instance should help me get
the job done much faster than the (limited to bursty cpu usage) micro
instance.

Of course having MP support wouldn't hurt. ;-)

> (please note, also, that I did not post the announcement yet -- I have
> to write one down, and get board/core approval, should be done this
> week)

Great, looking forward to this.  Perphas coordinate with
www%netbsd.org@localhost
to get any announcement on the front page as well as the blog.

-Jan