Re: Xen HVM's on raw disk partitions

Stephen Borrill writes:
- On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- > Tobias Nygren writes:
- > - On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:28:51 -0600
- > - eric%cirr.com@localhost (Eric Schnoebelen) wrote:
- > - > Is there a way to use raw partitions for HVM's?  Is it a bug in
- > - > the qemu back end driver, or somewhere else?
- > -
- > - Works for me, like below. But I do recall having had issues with it.
- > - I think it only worked with /dev/rsd0d, not /dev/sd0d.
- > -
- > - kernel='/usr/pkg/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader'
- > - builder='hvm'
- > - disk=['phy:/dev/rsd0d,hda,w']
- >
- > Have you ever used a partition other that 'd'?
- >
- > I've not been able to create an HVM using a partion on which a
- > mounted file system exists.
-
- Can you explain what you mean by 'partition on which a mounted file system
- exists'? If a filesystem is mounted in a dom0, you can't open that a
- second time for a domU.

/dev/wd01a is mounted in the Dom0. With a DomU, I am using
/dev/wd1b as the disk for the (NetBSD DomU).  I'd like to be
able to use /dev/[r]wd1e for a HVM DomU (such as MS-Windows.)
(and /dev/[r]wd1f for a yet another HVM DomU.)

Does that help?

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com