Re: A bit off topic.. converting Linux HVM to PV

On 07.10.2010 22:39, Brad Spencer wrote:
>>> I think I managed to build a Linux kernel with Xen guest support.  It
>>> claims the following upon trying to 'xm create -c ...':
>>
>> How did you create it?
>
> Probably badly...  basically...
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
> Select all of the Xen guest packages and bits and exit
> make clean
> make vmlinux
>
> After the build, copy vmlinux to the place I hold PV kernels and try to
> use it.
>
>> Was it configured to use a ramdisk? What fs are compiled in/modularized?
>
> I have to admit I don't know how to tell if it is using a ramdisk??  For
> fs support, at first it just had romfs, but I did edit .config and added
> all of the ext-foo filesystems and rebuilt.  Didn't help.

There's a wiki page on XenSource if you want to build from the git repo.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

For ramdisk (initrd), see the dom0 build commands at the end of the
page. You pass the rd as an option in the domU configuration file:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinux-2.6.31-domU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.gz"

--
Jean-Yves Migeon