Re: Xen Dom0 issues on 5.0.2

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Net Warrior
<netwarrior863%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> I installed xen tools and the like from ports ( xentools33 and xenkernel33 )
> and using netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 downloaded from the ftp repo.
> The problem is a missmatch between the kernels, it seems that
> netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 is PAE but xen.gz generated at complile time
> during xenkernel33 is not, at least
> that's the only difference I can see at boot, then it restart, I also tried
> to complile a custom kernel by addin options PAE but it gives an error
> during compilation, maybe I'm missing
> something, but a domu with pae not error and can generate the kernel.

Maybe I'm missing something about your config but I just installed two
NetBSD/amd64 5.0.2 Xen 3.3 dom0 systems with NetBSD/amd64 and
NetBSD/i386 domU guests. The error I got was that the
netbsd-XEN3_DOMU.gz for i386 was expecting Xen 3.0. I download
netbsd-XEN3PAE_DOMU.gz and everything went smoothly from there with
Xen 3.3. As was stated already, since you apparently have a Core 2 Duo
system, there is no value in running Xen 3.3 for i386 when you can
just as easily run Xen 3.3 for amd64 and avoid all of the PAE stuff
for dom0. The bonus is that PAE works fine for domU although it
probably isn't necessary for most domU guests.

In order to get it running, I ran through the standard install
procedure and gave my NetBSD/amd64 5.0.2 Xen 3.3 dom0 1GB of HD space.
Initially the GENERIC kernel is installed. I then installed
xenkernel33 and xentools33 along with dependencies. I also download
netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz for amd64 and gunzipped it to /netbsd.xen. After
that I followed the example in the boot.cfg man page and added the
following line to /boot.cfg:

menu=Xen with 512MB dom0:load /netbsd.xen console=pc;multiboot
/usr/pkg/xen3-kernel/xen.gz dom0_mem=512M

When I boot from that entry everything runs great. I have eight guests
running all sorts of different tasks including compiling my own
NetBSD-5.0.2_PATCH release and everything has worked flawlessly. The
fact that this is running on top of VMware in your situation shouldn't
affect its ability to work fine. I hope that helps.

Bryan