Re: Debian Linux DomU

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:05:12AM +0100, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:

> Switch to -current is not necessary, you could try with a NetBSD-5
> kernel (!= from NetBSD-5.0.x, which receives critical/security fixes only):
>
> ftp://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5/201002220000Z/amd64/binary/kernel/netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz

Works absolutely fine. I've been following instructions on [1], and it
went perfectly well. The only thing you have to modify in xm-debian.cfg
is the "disk" list to show (when installing on a partition of wd0):

disk = ['phy:/dev/wd0d,xvda,w']

Then, for the first postinstall boot, the Linux DomU can be shown its
root with:

root = "/dev/xvda4 ro"

(if installing on the 4th primary partition of the disk).

Then my question is, is that really safe or acceptable to give the
write access to the whole disk (off which the Dom0 runs) to the DomU ?
I understand now why the following doesn't work, but my initial try was
to limit the scope of the DomU by setting:

disk = ['phy:/dev/wd0p,xvda4,w']

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#DomU.28guest.29

--
Étienne