xen3pae on 5.0_stable/i386

Hi,
  I have a system that has been running xen 3.1 on 5.0_stable/i386 for some
time but I want to switch to PAE kernels.
I adjusted the boot to use zen-PAE.gz and XEN3PAE_DOM0 kernel and config
files for the domu's to use the XEN3PAE_DOMU kernel and rebooted.  The DOM0
starts happily but when trying to start the DOMU's a python process
segfaults and nothing starts.   So is there something obvious I've missed?

cheers
mark