Re: boot.cfg

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:15:10PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
>> >Are you seeing some output on the serial console ?
>>
>> The two laptops that I have been using to test this don't have serial
>> ports. I can try on another system though.
>>
>> If I don't specify a console then I get Xen output up to the line that
>> reads "Xen is relinquishing VGA console.", then nothing until the login
>> prompt appears.

>OK, so Xen uses both the serial and VGA console, and NetBSD thinks
>it's a serial console.

>> With "console=pc" nothing between boot(8) messages and
>> the login prompt.

>So both thinks it's a serial console. Do you pass "console=pc" to the Xen
>kernel, or the NetBSD kernel ?
>For a VGA console (VGA only, no output on serial console at all) you need:
>console=vga
>passed to xen.gz, and
>console=pc
>or
>console=tty0
>passed to the NetBSD kernel.

That was it, I was missing the console=vga option to the Xen kernel.

The following will now work as a boot.cfg option:

menu=Boot Xen:modules enabled;load /netbsd-DOM0;multiboot xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
console=vga -- bootdev=wd0a ro console=pc

If anyone wants to try it out there is a copy of boot(8) with the changes at:

<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/rjs/boot>

I will generate the diffs for review tomorrow.

Robert Swindells