configuring sound in an hvm

Sound doesn't work. Not in FreeBSD, Win2k or any OS I try as an HVM
instance. I googled this, and it would seem this is a network issue.
Is this correct. Could someone tell me the first steps I need to take
to get sound working. If, for example, I could get sound working on a
windows 2000 HVM, I could install netbsd/xen on my girlfriend's
machine in a way that makes it much easier to administrate.

For my purposes, I would like to run a freebsd or netbsd hvm as a domU
running multimedia apps, so I can get those off of the dom0.