Re: xen 3.2x support

Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
On Wednesday 3. September 2008 20:22:04 Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:17:07PM +0200, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
All current Intel processor can run amd64. I'm currently running
NetBSD/amd64 on various Xeon and core2 models.
What does that exactly mean? Should I compile amd64 kernel to be able to
run XEN 3.3?
Yes, amd64 kernel and userland (for dom0; for domUs you can run the
XEN3PAE_DOMU kernel).

I'd like to know something before diving into this "unconventional" approach on x86:
What's exactly the benefit of running XEN 3.3 instead of 3.1 ?
Would there be any penalty when running amd64 userland/kernel on x86?

I went through this experience recently. I found i386 to be a bit limiting and uniformly going amd64 across the board has made life easier, not to mention release builds so much faster due to so fewer kernels!

Xen 3.3 has quite a few wanted features and enhancements. For me, when I get a chance, I'd like to see what's involved with booting a PV kernel.

As far as the diff between running 32 vs 64 on em64t, afaik most tests point toward a performance increase. You also get to utilise as much ram as you can cram in, which can save you a few headaches later on.

From what I've read on this list, correct me if I'm wrong, most of the xen development is being performed on amd64. I found there was more awareness about xen issues and they were dealt with faster. I could be wrong though :)

Sarton