Re: recommendations for a Xen/NetBSD box?

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:04:15PM +1100, Carl Brewer wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:27:46PM +1100, Carl Brewer wrote:
I now have the hardware, and decided to splash a few extra bucks for some more RAM (it was cheap). I now have 6GB of RAM, which means if I want to allocate ~2GB to a couple of domU's, and some smaller chunks to some testbed domU's, can I do this with a NetBSD 4.0 i386 on RAID1 dom0?
No, you need a i386PAE or amd64 dom0, and NetBSD supports this only
in -current. Then you'll also need i386PAE or amd64 domU kernels,
so you won't be able to run netbsd-4 or netbsd-3 xen kernels (only
current). You can run plain i386 as an HVM guest though.
Just to clarify, if I want to use the full 6GB of RAM the machine has, and divvy it up between various domU's (xen aware or otherwise) and I want to use NetBSD, I need to use NetBSD-current i386 or NetBSD-current amd64, nothing else in the NetBSD world will do this?

No, only netbsd-current amd64. A system with 32bit physical addresses can't
make use of 6GB RAM.

If I'm happy to just use 4GB (really 3 after losses from the dom0 etc) I can do this with NetBSD 4.0 i386 and/or NetBSD 4.0 amd64 as the dom0?

NetBSD 4.0 i386. There is no support for xen in NetBSD 4.0/amd64

Ok. So basically to use the 6GB, I need the dom0 to be -current amd64, and then I can use domU's that are xen and PAE-aware and/or run xen in HVM mode for those that aren't. I'm sorry if this is going over things slowly! Is there any doco online for how to use HVM in xen? That might be a suitable approach for now, assuming amd64-current is stable, and are there any ISO's of amd64-current handy?

I take it -current will end up NetBSD 5, not 4.1 or similar and thus is quite some time away from even thinking about a release?