Re: clock differs between dom0 and domU

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:00:58 pm Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
>       $ ssh dom0 date; ssh domU date
>       Mon Feb 25 01:50:56 CET 2008
>       Mon Feb 25 01:52:33 CET 2008
>
> Aren't they using the same system clock?

No, the time keeping is seperate and from what little I understand, a domu
can't keep track of time as well as a dom0 can (I guess it's somthing to do
with emulated hardware). I imagine the problem increases with domu uptime but
I've researched this very little.

Currently I run ntpd with 4+ servers on dom0 and ntpd with min tos 1 on domus
pointing to dom0. Seeing as ntpd cumulatively stores any drift and alters
accordingly, I figured this was better for a domu than just expecting the
time to remain close to accurate.

This isn't optimal on _current_ as any domu I have with a database seems to
panic when ntpd is launched but I'm due to update and see if this is still a
problem.

Sarton