Re: recommendations for a Xen/NetBSD box?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 02:11:18PM -0500, Luke S Crawford wrote:
> [...]
> netbsd 3.1 supports xen3 as a DomU only, xen 2 as a domU and Dom0
> NetBSD 4 supports xen3 as both.  (but -release only supports x86_64
> or i386 without PAE.)

No, NetBSD 4.x has Xen support for i386 only; not x86_64.

> Hm.  well,  it sounds like the best option then would be to go non-pae
>
> you could use a NetBSD 4 Dom0; or re-compile a linux kernel without
> pae for the Dom0; then   you could use your existing NetBSD images,
> but you would need  to re-compile most distro kernels;  I don't know of
> any xen linux distro kernels that aren't PAE by default.

If it's just for tests, you could also run the plain i386 centos kernel,
as an HVM guest. Performances will be lower than with a Xen kernel,
but it works, and is closer to what you'd run on a real box.