Re: NetBSD on Xen3 amd64

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:39:22PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:10:05PM +0000, Sebastian Wasilewski wrote:
> > Thank you for your reply. Is there an easy way to rebuild packages
> > automatically ? Something like emerge for Gentoo, that would download a
> > source of all required packages, rebuild them and install?
> >
> > I cannot imagine how much time I would have to spend to rebuild
> > manually all packages I would like to install.
>
> It's pkgsrc. It's not very time-consuming, you just have to type 'make
> install' in the directory of the package you want (it'll take care of
> dependancies).  If you have several packages you can enter the 'cd
> /path/do/pkgsrc-subdiur; make install' commands in a shell script.

You may want to use pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_chk to automate that.  Use pkg_chk
-g to generate a list of all your installed packages, then remove them all
(pkg_chk -r will remove the out-dated ones), and rebuild everything from
the list with pkg_chk -a.  See the pkg_chk(8) manpage for further options.

There are several other mechanisms to "mass upgrade" pkgsrc.  Search the
pkgsrc-users or tech-pkg archives for more.

        Geert