Subject: Re: Re: Install Windows on a headless dom0
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/20/2007 19:22:47
On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 06:56:38PM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20 2007 - 14:25, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 10:46:54PM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I finally got a VT enabled BIOS on my Xen3 server so I'm trying to
> > > install Windows XP on it. The thing is the Xen3 dom0 server is headless.
> > >
> > > How can I get the "console" for the Windows install ?
> > >
> > > If my config file contains:
> > > sdl = 0
> > > vnc = 1
> > > vncdisplay = 1
> > > vncunused = 0
> > > vncpasswd = ''
> > >
> > > The domain is started OK (I can see it with `xm list`) but `netstat -a |
> > > egrep 'localhost|LISTEN'` does not indicate the VNC port.
> >
> > This usually works for me.
> > I have:
> > vnc = 1
> > vncdisplay = 0
> > vncunused = 0
> > vncpasswd=""
> > vnclisten='127.0.0.1'
> >
> > I'm not sure if the space around the '=' is significant or not.
> >

> It does not seem to work better.
>
> In /var/log/xenbackendd.log, I can see:
> xenstore-read: couldn't read path /local/domain/0/backend/vfb/26/0/type
> Failed to read /local/domain/0/backend/console/26/0/script (No such file or directory)

that's expected as this domain doesn't have a xenconsole.

> > > If my config file contains:
> > > sdl = 1
> > > vnc = 0
> > >
> > > I create the VM from an X11 forwarding enabled session (`ssh -X luuna
> > > "sudo /usr/pkg/sbin/xm create /home/xen/windows.conf"`) and the VM
> > > starts but I don't see the console (I did `xhost +` on my workstation):
> > > Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> > > forwarding.
> > > Using config file "/home/xen/windows.conf".
> > > Started domain windows
> >
> > Can you start a simple X client, like xclock ?
> > Try it both from your shell, and from sudo ...
> >

> I've installed xbase.tgz and I can start an xterm.
> Both as a normal user and with a sudo.
> Running "xm create ..." from "ssh -X" or from the xterm launched using
> "ssh -X" acts the same way.
>
> If I start the domU with VNC=1, I can't see the port on netstat.
> If I start the domU without any VNC parameters and run `xm create
> /home/xen/windows.conf`, I get :
> #####################
> Using config file "/home/xen/windows.conf".
> Started domain windows
> #####################
> but nothing pops up and no VNC port is LISTENing.
> If I run `xm create -c /home/xen/windows.conf`, I get :
> #####################
> Using config file "/home/xen/windows.conf".
> Started domain windows
> xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

don't use -c, for a HVM guest with graphical console it's not usefull.

> #####################
>
> In both case, the domU appears in `xm list`.
>
> The only thing I didn't notice before is a log file in /var/log/xen :
> # cat qemu-dm.25749.log
> domid: 34
> qemu: the number of cpus is 1
> Watching /local/domain/34/logdirty/next-active
> /usr/pkg/etc/xen/scripts/qemu-ifup: could not launch network script
> Could not initialize device 'tap'

that could be the issue: the domain is running but qemu isn't. qemu is
doing the interface between the HVM domain and dom0, if it's not there
you don't have a console.

> I checked my installed xen packages (xenkernel3-3.1.0nb2
> xentools3-3.1.0 xentools3-hvm-3.1.0) and indeed, the script is not present.
> I do not have such logs when starting NetBSD domU (netbsd-4 for both
> dom0 and domU).

I though I had added this in the xentools3-hvm-3.1.0 package. The script is
present in pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools3-hvm/files but doesn't seem to
be installed :(

this script is just:
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $1 up