Subject: Re: Install Windows on a headless dom0
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/20/2007 14:25:37
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 10:46:54PM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally got a VT enabled BIOS on my Xen3 server so I'm trying to
> install Windows XP on it. The thing is the Xen3 dom0 server is headless.
>
> How can I get the "console" for the Windows install ?
>
> If my config file contains:
> sdl = 0
> vnc = 1
> vncdisplay = 1
> vncunused = 0
> vncpasswd = ''
>
> The domain is started OK (I can see it with `xm list`) but `netstat -a |
> egrep 'localhost|LISTEN'` does not indicate the VNC port.

This usually works for me.
I have:
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 0
vncunused = 0
vncpasswd=""
vnclisten='127.0.0.1'

I'm not sure if the space around the '=' is significant or not.

> If my config file contains:
> sdl = 1
> vnc = 0
>
> I create the VM from an X11 forwarding enabled session (`ssh -X luuna
> "sudo /usr/pkg/sbin/xm create /home/xen/windows.conf"`) and the VM
> starts but I don't see the console (I did `xhost +` on my workstation):
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding.
> Using config file "/home/xen/windows.conf".
> Started domain windows

Can you start a simple X client, like xclock ?
Try it both from your shell, and from sudo ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>