Re: Slow network speed of WinXP on Xen 3 HVM

   On Jun 8, 14:41, Michael van Elst wrote:
   > Subject: Re: Slow network speed of WinXP on Xen 3 HVM
   > jam%pobox.com@localhost (Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa) writes:
   >
   > >WinXP on Xen    70KB/s
   > >NetBSD on Xen  250KB/s
   > >native WinXP   300KB/s
   >
   > You didn't say what 'network speed' you measure.

I measured the speed to download
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.1/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz.

For the case of guest NetBSD, downloaded it to /tmp (hosted drive).
For the case of native WinXP, download it to desktop (local drive).
For the case of guest WinXP, download it to desktop (hosted drive).
NetBSD used /usr/bin/ftp.  WinXP used Opera 9.21.

   > In any case, such a difference is to be expected. WinXP
   > accesses a simulated network card and that simulation
   > carries a huge overhead.
   >
   > You can get "paravirtualized" network drivers for
   > Windows with the commercial XenEnterprise version.

That's make sense.  I was just wondering how other people
feel and what other people are doing for their guest WinXP.
Maybe I should try that commercial version.  Thanks for the
info.

-- Jam