Re: boot hangs at uhci1

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 05:22:20PM -0500, david l goodrich wrote:
I decided it would be a good idea to move a 4.0_BETA2 dom0 from under my desk to over with my other servers.

when i powered the machine back on after the move, the XEN3_DOM0 kernel won't boot, it hangs at

uhci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 1: Intel 82801GB/GR USB UHCI Controller (rev. 0x01)

but a GENERIC kernel will boot through grub's 'chainloader' just fine.

i'd just say wipe the hard drives and start over, but this has domUs and data on it that i'd like to keep. and the stupid thing /used/ to boot.

my / drive is small, of course.

nialas# df /
Filesystem  1K-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/raid0a    508143    188655    294081    39%    /
nialas#

the dmesg from GENERIC is below.  any ideas?  thanks.

If you add -c to the kernel's boot command line, and enter
disable uhci
quit

does it boot ?

for those reading this later on that are confused like i was, this is just to say add "-c" to the end of the "module" line in the appropriate /grub/menu.lst entry.

unfortunately, all disabling uhci did was push the freeze back:

piixide1 at pci0 dev 31 function 2
piixide1: Intel 82801G/GR Serial ATA/Raid Controller (ICH7) (rev. 0x01)
piixide1: bus-master DMA support present
piixide1: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
[hang]

i should note that the way I have determined it is hung is that 1) it obviously doesn't progress any further in the boot process and 2) the keyboard interrupts are no longer detected - capslock and numlock no longer cause the keyboard lights to change.

Maybe you have updated this kernel recently, without
rebooting ?

no, this is not something I would do.  well, i hope not.
Besides, I have also tried booting with a new XEN3_DOM0 kernel from ftp.netbsd.org's most recent daily build, and had the same problem. In fact, this most recent hang at piixide1 is using <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200703280002Z/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz>, gunzipped, of course.
  --david