Subject: Booting a NetBSD 4 domU on a Linux dom0?
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/28/2007 17:35:36
   I did some googling around, and found mostly information in the
archives of this mailing list.  I hope this isn't a question that's
been answered "too many times".

   The information I found seemed to mostly deal with running a
NetBSD dom0, of course, and with older versions of NetBSD.  I have
NetBSD 4ish (the current top of the netbsd-4 branch) built, and want
to run it on a big machine I have at work running Xen 3.0.3 with an
Ubuntu 6.06 userland.  This is an amd64 machine, running on a machine
with HVM support, so it can do full virtualization, but I don't want
it to.

   What would I have to do to create a domU that I could install
NetBSD onto?  Does the ISO generated with the new 'iso-image'
build.sh target know how to boot a para-virtualization aware kernel
on a machine?  I don't want to end up running fully virtualized,
which I suspect is what would happen with a GENERIC kernel.  Is it
even possible/practical to run para-virtualized with i386 on an amd64
machine?  If I build amd64 netbsd-4 code, can that run under a linux
dom0 (2.6.16.29-xen) ?

   Thanks.  Any pointers to FAQs I missed on the web, or the like,
very appreciated.  Sorry if this is a question I should've been able
to find the answer to myself.

   (Also note that I'm no Xen expert.  I've been using it some at
work, but only understand the basics at this point.)

                                                  - Chris