Re: /dev/random often empty

Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Also, I wanted to understand how entropy was used; it seems it's
>> always used up and I know of know way to know what the consumers
>> were.  I suspect it's a combination of sshd and racoon (I use
>> transport-mode IPsec on coda traffic).

grep'ed through kernel code, and I think every TCP connection consumes
entropy by the second rnd_extract_data() in
netinet/tcp_subr.c:tcp_new_iss1(), which I think is called for every
TCP connect(2).  Changing sysctl net.inet.tcp.iss_hash to non-0 might
help.

(tcp_new_iss1() looks iffy...)

                                                FUKUMOTO Atsushi
                                                fukumoto%imasy.or.jp@localhost