Subject: Re: Newbie question on Xen3 with NetBSD4Beta2
To: None <fukumoto@imasy.or.jp>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/03/2007 16:15:42
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:16:47PM +0900, fukumoto@imasy.or.jp wrote:
> I'm trying to setup Xen 3 with NetBSD 4.0 Beta2 on an Athlon 64 X2 machine.
>
> XEN3_DOM0 seems not configured with options MULTIPROCESSOR, and when I
> tried it, it fails to compile.  Is it supposed to be so?

Yes, MULTIPROCESSOR is not supported by NetBSD/xen yet. This just means you
can't use both CPU in a single domain; xen itself is SMP, and if you have
several domains they will spread across all CPUs.

> With XEN3_DOM0 kernel and a single XEN3_DOMU domainU, CPU is
> noticeably hotter than with non-Xen kernel, according to onboard
> temperature sensor.  In fact even when 100% idle state, it is close to
> 100% load of non-Xen kernel.  Is it normal?

what does 'xm top' says ? It's possible that the xen.gz kernel isn't using
power management options to stop the CPU when idle, but instead use
a spin loop waiting for something to do.

> When I configured azalia(4) driver with XEN3_DOM0, it crashed when
> booting-up.  Should I send-pr?  Also, configuring fdc(4) with acpi

Yes, please.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>