Re: rebooting a domU

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 01:04:34PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 03:50:09PM +1100, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> > Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> > >IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/kern/xen/balloon'
> >
> > I mildly understand the use of 'balloon' but have never had it exist for
> > me. When I have received this error it is usually because I have
> > assigned more memory to the domu than is available at that point in time.
> >
> > In some instances I was able to manually load the domu with the
> > problematic amount of memory assigned but it would not start
> > automatically on boot nor on a restart.
> >
> > Whether this has ever worked, I don't know. I just reduced my memory by
> > a few MB and forgot about it.
>
> Yes, there is no baloon driver on NetBSD yet. What I suspect happens
> in this case is that on reboot, the new domain tries to start before the
> old one has released all memory, so there's not enough memory for the new
> domain.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking :(  Unfortunately, I want
all these separate domUs, and the boxes i want to use for Xen
only really support 1/2GiB of RAM.  (P3 Katmai and Coppermines
with i443something and i81x chipset.  The newer boxes I
want for workstations. )

Oh well, I can live with this I guess.

        Jonathan Kollasch