Subject: Re: Manual creation of a vnd image - newfs freezes
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 01/24/2007 19:56:50
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 06:22, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> vnd0a is the block device; it goes though the buffer cache. rvnd0a is
> the character device, it talks directly to the driver. I guess using
> vnd0a you fill up the buffer cache quickly, and the system crawls because
> it has no free memory.

I guess the obvious question then is, does this indicate a problem with my=
=20
system? And is there any way to diagnose the problem ...

It seems strange to me that newfs would cause this under a dom0.

Sorry to stray but I tried looking through the NetBSD guide and searched a =
bit=20
but I haven't found any documentation:

=46rom memory, the character device under FreeBSD would be, for example, wd=
0c.=20
Under NetBSD what is wd0c? I understand wd0d to be the whole disk (buffered=
)=20
and now rwd0d to be the whole disk as a character device but the purpose of=
=20
wd0c (or rwd0c) under NetBSD has eluded me.

Actually ... just looking at disklabel ... is wd0c the whole disk minus the=
=20
mbr?

Sarton