Subject: Re: Hypervisor issues with PTE
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
From: Mathieu Ropert <mro@adviseo.fr>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/28/2006 16:33:30
_PAGE_GNTTAB is set to use the 3th free bit of the page table entry (0x800).
In NetBSD/i386 it's defined as PG_X. After looking at the code a bit, i
think it's used by the software execute-disable feature.
It hasn't always been in the code so i guess you can *theorically*
remove it.
Would be easier if Xen actually provided execute-disable pages, we could
remove this bit without any loss...
Execute-disable hardware support can be found on any new machine since
about 2 years, but it requires PAE to be enabled.