Subject: Re: Xen3 DomU spins 100% busy during console access
To: Simon Truss <simon@bigble.demon.co.uk>
From: david l goodrich <dlg@dorkzilla.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/03/2006 12:38:03
--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 04:45:27PM +0000, Simon Truss wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I was in vim in insert mode and just pasted a large selection into the=20
> xenconsole - instant busy lockup. Once I figured out what caused it I=20
> was able to repeat this 5 out of 5 times.
>=20
> I tried this with small simple lines and was never able to lockup the=20
> console. I have however managed to to cause this lockup by pasting less=
=20
> than 1KB of data, and then pasting more in small pieces until it exceeds=
=20
> 1KB. I have no idea why 1KB might be a magic number but perhaps its a hin=
t.
>=20
> lastly I also had a similar lockup by just connecting to the console=20
> with 'xm console test1' no copy paste with the mouse at all.
>=20
> this is an intel HT core, both Dom0 and DomU running 4.99.4 from Nov28=20
> daily builds.
>=20
> xentools30-3.0.3nb1
> xenkernel30-3.0.3

i have observed this behavior as well, running 4.0_BETA 20061026
with xenkernel30-3.0.2.2 and xentools30-3.0.2.2 on an AMD Athlon
2000+

My testing has not been nearly as rigorous, i simply have noticed
'xen console foo' can cause this behavior if there are a lot of
messages on the console, or if i paste in large amounts of text.
  --david

>=20
> Simon

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi