Re: Xen, PS/2 mice and ACPI(?) poweroff.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 01:50:53PM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> Heya.
>
> I'm trying to make my desktop multi-OS, using a NetBSD-current dom0 and
> xen 3.0.3, and have a few issues.
>
> 1) The minute I start a CPU-intensive job in a DomU, my PS/2 mouse and
>    keyboard get unresponsive, and keep resetting (judging by the indicator
>    light on my mouse) and sure enough, dmesg gets filled with entries like
>
>    pckbport: command timeout
>    pms_disable: command error
>
>    Sometimes normality is restored when I suspend the CPU-intensive job
>    in the domU, often it'll remain dead.
>
>    Using a USB mouse and keyboard fixes the problem, but is far from ideal:
>
>    I use a PS/2 KVM and an old IBM PS/2 Model M keyboard which I would like
>    to retain if possible. Using this PS/2 setup through a PS2-to-USB converter
>    proved to be rather unreliable.

Maybe you need to allocate more CPU ressources to dom0; this is done with
the "xm sched-sedf" command (note that displaying the actual parameters doesn't
work). I've not found much documentation on this, so I can't tell you exactly
what to type. You'll probably have to try a few things ...

> 2) Any Xen3 kernels I build, including XEN3_DOM0 fail to poweroff or shutdown,
>    and often fail to reboot properly. After the filesystems get unmounted,
>    it seems to caught somewhere, and requires manual intervention to actually
>    shutdown (or reboot).

What is the last line printed ? I'd recommend also trying a serial console,
to see if the hypervisor has something to say when the kernel tries to
reboot. I've got one report of the hypervisor having troubles to reboot
but it seems to be an issue in the hypervisor itself ...