Subject: Xen, PS/2 mice and ACPI(?) poweroff.
To: None <port-xen@NetBSD.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/19/2006 13:50:53
Heya.

I'm trying to make my desktop multi-OS, using a NetBSD-current dom0 and
xen 3.0.3, and have a few issues.

1) The minute I start a CPU-intensive job in a DomU, my PS/2 mouse and
   keyboard get unresponsive, and keep resetting (judging by the indicator
   light on my mouse) and sure enough, dmesg gets filled with entries like

   pckbport: command timeout
   pms_disable: command error

   Sometimes normality is restored when I suspend the CPU-intensive job
   in the domU, often it'll remain dead.

   Using a USB mouse and keyboard fixes the problem, but is far from ideal:

   I use a PS/2 KVM and an old IBM PS/2 Model M keyboard which I would like
   to retain if possible. Using this PS/2 setup through a PS2-to-USB converter
   proved to be rather unreliable.

2) Any Xen3 kernels I build, including XEN3_DOM0 fail to poweroff or shutdown,
   and often fail to reboot properly. After the filesystems get unmounted,
   it seems to caught somewhere, and requires manual intervention to actually
   shutdown (or reboot).

Any hints? If it makes any difference: I'm running 4.99.3 on Asus A8N-E mobo
with an Athlon 3000+ with 2GB ram, 1GB of which is assigned to dom0.

--
Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org