Subject: Re: NetBSD -CURRENT with Xen3.0.3: grub failed with Error3 and Error
To: None <hubert@feyrer.de, pavel.cahyna@matfyz.cz, port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Rainer Brinkmoeller <rainer.brinkmoeller@web.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/06/2006 23:02:09
Hubert Feyrer schrieb:

> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Rainer Brinkmoeller wrote:
>
>> What i found was this:
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2004/07/08/0015.html
>> "Error 3 is reported when the first sector of the mbr partition (sector
>> 63 here) doesn't contain boot code. This is usually added by installboot
>> but it (probably) relies on the root filesystem being at the start of
>> that partition."
>>
>> But i don't know what to do to boot successull into xen.
>

> Maybe grub(?) can't read the filesystem to find the file it's looking
> for?
> I could imagine this happening when grub tries to find things on an
> FFSv2 or LFS filesystem...
>

>  - Hubert

It was a FFSv1 filesystem. But only one big (140 GB) Partition in one
slice with only a / mount point.

So i did learn and reinstall. Now my / is a 1024 MB big mount point
(within its own slice) with 8k/1k block/fragment sizes on a FFSv1
filesystem.
Other mount points (like /usr, /var, /home, etc.) are different slices.

It seems to work fine. NetBSD -current with Xen 3.0.3 is booting now.
Thanks to Manuel.
The Problem with the GENERIC kernel still exist. But i didn't try to
compress again or without "--type=netbsd" yet.

> Isn't it better to make a small /boot (or /stand) partition which would
> hold only the kernels, like Linux does if the bios does have disk size
> limit?
>
> Small / can be inconvenient.
>
> Rainer, can't you steal some space from swap partition to create such
> small partition?

@Pavel:
no i could not because i used the complete disk as one partition and
also as mount point /.
Why do you think that a small / can be inconvenient?
In my opinion a 2048 MB / should be ok for grub. All other mount points
can have their own slices like the way i did.

regards,
Rainer