Subject: Re: Netbsd XEN nothing I can boot in
To: None <variia@niwa.co.nz>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 09/15/2006 19:40:32
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 10:39:19PM +1200, variia@niwa.co.nz wrote:
> Sorry for the confusions...
>
> > Not sure what you mean here
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/NetBSDdomU
>
> Before the first reboot there's a suggestion to:
> mount /dev/xbd0a /mnt
> cd /mnt/dev
> cp -pR /dev/rxbd* .
> cp -pR /dev/xbd* .
> halt -p
>
> It was about an older NetBSD 2 domU install but anyway I have actually
> tried without this however same hanging occur.

It's not needed any more

> > I don't understant what you mean here. Is the Xen box you desktop too ?
> > Otherwise how could a ssh session make your desktop swap ?
> > When you says the CPU is 100%, is it dom0's CPU or domU's CPU ?
>
> No. I log into the dom0 via ssh (server room is a bit away+cold+noisy...)
> >From the ssh console running on the dom0 I start up the VM as root with -c
> paramter of course then I log into the VM as root. 5 minutes later it
> stops responding. In the meantime I have another dom0 ssh connection and
> that shows the CPU load to be 100% and the fully used 512M memory by xm
> top.

Who is at 100%, dom0 or the domU ? The fast that the 512M are all used
may not be a problem.

> When this hanging happens it drives my desktop Fedora nuts. It becomes non
> responsive too and start swapping... I didn't understand this neither but
> let's not worry about my dekstop. :)

It would give a hint about what the dom0 or domU is doing, though. A top
on your desktop should show what process is becoming crasy, isn't it ?

> > Xen's scheduler parameters. Changing this to have a non-0 minimum time
> > slice
>  Could you point me to the right place about it? I don't understand this.

I never played with this either; but I think it's with
xm sched-sedf <domain> -s
you can try
xm sched-sedf <domain> -s 10

--