Re: Netbsd XEN nothing I can boot in

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 04:09:10PM +1200, Ivan Vari wrote:
> It is just for the record from this stage but it will be still worth for
> others who may want to use similar config. I am 99% sure that the
> problem is the smartarray 5i controller or its cciss driver provided by
> NetBSD team.

This is quite possible for a NetBSD dom0, that driver is rather new
and probably not well tested in some situations.

I can't see how it would make any difference for a domU, which doesn't
even see the device.

> I took 1 CPU out of my server, left the HT off and just in case passed
> the noapic+nosmp params to the kernel even though they are irrelevant
> from this stage. (The kernel still has SMP support built in what I will
> perhaps remove in the next couple of days and recompile just in case)
>
> NO! Same problem, domU crashed.

is this a dom0 kernel you're trying to boot as domU?  domU shouldn't
have or need that driver, or many others. something very odd is going
on.

> Then I basically dumped the same install onto a desktop box with a P4
> 2.4Ghz+1GB ram, SCSI hdd. The same config I pasted into my previous
> email fired up the netbsd 3.1RC2 install like charm. I was so happy to
> see a blue screen appearing under Xen. (and it wasn't an NT core dump :) )

Ok, cool. That's some encouragement, but there's probably some other
difference that's the real culprit.  Oh.. are you running the server
with PAE or in 64-bit mode?

--
Dan.