Subject: Re: isolated "internal" network?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 09/13/2006 16:52:14
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:12:42PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 07:50:46AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Why do you need to bridge to another interface at all?  On my dom0
> > box, I have fxp0 and xvifN.0 for 3 values of N.  In my case, I have
> > them all bridged, and the xvifNs do not have addresses.  But you could
> > just put an address on one of those in your private segment and
> > routing should work.
>
> You mean I can give an IP to one of the xvif interfaces and use that?

You can, just a few changes to the Xen scripts, and pass the IP address instead
of bridge name.

> Hmm, that looks like a pain to setup automatically at boot.  And if that
> particular domU goes down, I have to reconfigure my dom0 to continue to
> communicate with the other domU's over the private LAN...  Not ideal.

You can use a routing setup instead of bridging, and a separate virtual LAN
for each domU.

If you want to use a bridge I think a tap interface in the dom0 is the way to
go.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>