Subject: Re: PAE support time estimate?
To: Florian Heigl <floh@deranfangvomen.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 09/08/2006 23:10:19
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:56:36PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 07:34:54PM +0200, Florian Heigl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any way of estimating when a NetBSD domU will work within a
> > PAE-enabled Xen/Linux dom0 kernel?
>
> AFAIK nobody is working on PAE support. x86_64 is probably easier

On second though it may not be that hard, if we support it on Xen and
don't want to support more than 4GB in a guest. Because of the extra
layer between pseudo-physical and machine addresses in Xen, we woulnd't need
to change paddr_t to 64 bits, and just handle 64k addresses for machine
addresses. This shouldn't touch much outside of arch/xen.

There may be issues for drivers using bus_dma, but for domU guests it
should be quite straitforward.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>