Subject: Re: VT-enabled cpu support roadmap
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 09/08/2006 23:01:44
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 07:42:11PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > Does NetBSD/xen3 already supports virtualization via VT-enabled chip ?
>
> I don't think so.  I've intended to try for a while, but haven't
> found the time yet.  I do know, however, that NetBSD doesn't run in
> a HVM domU (blame it on the qemu backend).

This is moving fast, maybe you should try newer xentools.

About VT support in NetBSD, I think most of the work is in xentools,

> > If not, which place does this feature have in to xen3 TODO list ?
>
> That depends if anyone is working on it.  You can always try and donate
> a VT (or SVM which is the AMD counterpart)-enabled system to Manuel with
> hope it could speed up the process :-)

That wouldn't help for now, I'm way too overloaded. We first need to have
proper ACPI support in Xen so that we can run Xen3 on SMP systems.
shouldn't be too hard, but I need to figure details of ACPI first and
I've got no time to look at this in the last weeks.
Then I'd like to get SMP support in NetBSD/Xen3
Then I'd like to have working x86_64 support (there is an openbsd port
of this)
Then I can look at misc features of Xen that we don't support yet :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>