Subject: Re: Xen3 domU functionnal
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/21/2006 14:17:04
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:23:32PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> [resent after mis-typing manuel's address]
>
> Is it possible for a (NetBSD-)kernel to detect if it's running on Xen2 or
> Xen3?

I don't think this information is directly available but it could
probably be worked out. The problem is that the Xen kernel checks
a version number in an ELF section when a guest OS is loaded, and
refuse to run it if this version number doesn't match. So you can't
even load a kernel compiled for Xen-3 on a Xen-2 system, and vice-versa.

Anyway, there are differences in structures that would also make it
hard to have kernels running on both Xen-2 and Xen-3; lots of functions
would need to be present in 2 versions in the binary ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>