Subject: Re: reducing XENU kernel config maintenance
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/01/2006 14:26:16
--B52KEoKdbCpY/p3k

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:16:34PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>=20
> Is there a good reason not to define XENU in terms of the XEN0 kernel=20
> config? Comparing the two configs, how about the following? (I understand=
=20
> that this may leave in all the pci drivers... some change for config(8) t=
o=20
> do that properly may be needed).

That's config(1), and it already does the right thing in this case.

> The reason to do something like this would be to reduce maintenance costs=
=20
> and avoid errors (and defining XEN0 in terms of a GENERIC kernel would be=
=20
> nice, too, in turn).
>=20
> Open questions:
>  * is options WSDISPLAY_SCROLLSUPPORT left out in XENU on purpose, or was
>     XENU just not updated (see "avoid errors")
>  * should wd*, sd*, cd* at hypervisor be enabled?
>  * A comment on what 'xenevt' is would be nice in XEN0
>=20
>=20
>  - Hubert
>    Department Against Redundancy Department
>=20
>=20
> #	$NetBSD$
> #
> # XENU kernel, defined in terms of XEN0
> #
> include "arch/i386/conf/XEN0"
>=20
> no options 	DOM0OPS
> no options 	WSDISPLAY_SCROLLSUPPORT		# is that on purpose?
>=20
> xennet* 	at hypervisor?		# Xen virtual network interface
>=20
> no pci*		at hypervisor? bus ?	# Prevent access to PCI bus

I like "no pci" better, but as there is no other root instance for pci,
just removing that instance is fine.

You want "no isa", too.  I don't think you need to remove anything else,
but  a throrough check has to be done.

> xbd*		at hypervisor?		# Xen virtual block device
> #wd*		at hypervisor?		# Xen vbd (wd identity)		# rm?
> #sd*		at hypervisor?		# Xen vbd (sd identity)		# rm?
> #cd*		at hypervisor?		# Xen vbd (cd identity)		# rm?
>=20
> no pseudo-device	xenevt

I have no opinion on the matter, but note that maintaining XEN0 and XENU
won't be that much easier:  when adding something to XEN0, one will have
to check whether it's fine for XENU or not.  Your open questions kind of
make that point.

--=20

--B52KEoKdbCpY/p3k

--B52KEoKdbCpY/p3k--