Subject: Re: cgd-on-vnd results on Xen
To: Chris Brookes <cbrookes@gmail.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/12/2005 07:35:49
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 05:37:56PM -0600, Chris Brookes wrote:
> On 10/04/05, Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org> wrote:
>
> >Some people have expressed interest in exactly what this box is.  It's
> >a Dell PowerEdge 1750 with PERC 4/Di embedded RAID with two Xeon 3.2GHz
> >processors, 2GB RAM, and 3 150GB drives set up as a RAID-5.  I had an
> >annoying time installing grub on this thing since grub didn't grok
> >the logical drive exported by the RAID card (it didn't correspond to
> >any "BIOS drive"), which reminds me that I should commit my changes
> >to the sysutils/grub package.
>
> Ooooh. I'm trying to do exactly the same thing: install grub on a
> RAID-1 system. (twe driver, and the disk appears as ld0) and it's not
> playing ball. What changes did you make to grub? Anything extensive?
> Do you have patches available?

Sorry for the delay in answering this email.  The patches were simple,
and I've just committed them to pkgsrc to the sysutils/grub package.
As long as the BIOS is seeing the logical disk as a BIOS drive, then
grub-install from grub-0.97nb3 should be able to recognize and install
onto ld(4).

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>