Re: grub vs. raidframe

Mike M. Volokhov wrote:

>On 11/02/2005 14:34:18 EET Jeff Rizzo wrote [not subscribed to port-xen
>before so this is not followup, sorry]:
>

>3) GRUB must be installed on *all* disks of the RAID set.

I guess I could have mentioned that;  I suppose I figured that anyone
doing raid1 booting on netbsd was already doing that with netbsd
bootblocks,and would figure it for RAID as well.

>But before doing this we should determine what's a sort of disk
>failures we're waiting and how we would respond on them. For examlpe,
>I assume that if one of mirrored HDD will be failed, we will shutdown
>the Dom0, replace a failed disk and boot up again from live HDD. (See
>the reason?) This means that disks must be mirrored at all levels.) So
>my /grub/menu.lst contains the following lines (stripped):
>
>title Xen 2.0.7 / NetBSD 3.0 (HDD1)
>  root(hd0,g)
>  kernel (hd0,g)/xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
>  module (hd0,g)/netbsd root=/dev/hda1 ro console=pc
>title Xen 2.0.7 / NetBSD 3.0 (HDD2)
>  root(hd1,g)
>  kernel (hd1,g)/xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
>  module (hd1,g)/netbsd root=/dev/hdb1 ro console=pc
>
>title NetBSD/i386 3.0, MP ACPI (HDD1)
>  root (hd0,g)
>  kernel --type=netbsd /netbsd-GENERIC.MPACPI
>title NetBSD/i386 3.0, MP ACPI (HDD2)
>  root (hd1,g)
>  kernel --type=netbsd /netbsd-GENERIC.MPACPI
>
>title NetBSD chain (HDD1:0)
>  root        (hd0,0)
>  chainloader +1
>title NetBSD chain (HDD2:0)
>  root        (hd1,0)
>  chainloader +1

I actually don't see the point of including menu entries for hd1;  if
hd0 goes bad, hd1 will have to become hd0 to boot anyway.  I generally
install the bootblock on both disks, but only menu items for the first.

>And have ran the following commands in the GRUB:
>
>grub> root (hd0,g)
>grub> setup (hd0)
>grub> root (hd1,g)
>grub> setup (hd1)
>
>And last one note:
>
>4) Should we add these explainations to Ports/xen/howto.* ?

Probably.  Be my guest.  :)

I should note that I've experienced one intermittent problem:
sometimes, 'swapoff=YES' in /etc/rc.conf causes the machine to hang when
removing block-type swap devices at shutdown. (Which is necessary if one
is to avoid raid parity problems at boot when swapping to raidframe).
It seems to be related to how much memory dom0 has - it happens nearly
100% of the time when dom0 has 64M, maybe 30% when it has 128M.

+j