Subject: Re: using a domU for development - some questions
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/09/2005 23:24:49
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:03:44AM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> With as fast as my NetBSD domU is at rebooting, it seems like an ideal
> environment for kernel development - but I'm running into some snags I
> hope someone can help me with.
>
> First, dropping into DDB - setting hw.cnmagic seems to work, but is
> there a way to get into DDB with default settings?

It should be +++++

> Second, I was able to successfully hide my PCI device from dom0, but the
> domU kernel crashes when I load the driver.  Not too surprising - I'm
> certain there are quite a few bugs lurking in this driver.  However, I
> was unable to force a crash dump:
>
> db> reboot 0x0104
>
> dumping to dev 142,1 offset 9263
> dump device bad
>

> ... my swap device is xbd0b.  Would it work with an actual disk partition?

I've not tracked this problem down yet (for now ddb was enouth for me :).
I'm not sure it would work with a real disk either, but it's something to try
(would be nice to be able to savecore(8) from domain0 to directly get the core
dump here :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>